Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Deer Sympathy

I made another sympathy card and went with a more masculine style. I chose to use an old wood mounted stamp set that I purchased many years ago called Doe and Fawn and was made by Stampabilities.


I stamped the image onto Gina K. Designs heavy weight white card stock using brown ink. Then with various colors of brown I swiped the ink pad onto some wax paper and then spritzed with water to make a watered out brown. I used a fine paint brush to add extra brown color to the deer and fawn. For the grass I did the same technique of water coloring only using some Memento green ink and a few swipes of brown. And, the last water coloring I did was add watered out blue shades for the sky using Gina K. Designs inks. I filled in the nose and eyes on the fawn and doe with a black fine line permanent marker from Zig.

When I was satisfied with my little painted scene I then die cut it with a Gina K. Designs small double stitched rectangle die. I also die cut a Gina K. Designs single stitched edged rectangle die from black card stock to make a layer. These two stacked rectangle layers were then placed onto a Spellbinder die frame called Polka Dots. The last step with my design was then to add these layers to a white card base.

I am not much of a water color artist but since most of the details are so well defined with this stamp image it was fairly easy to get the look I wanted. The sentiment I added is from Gina K. Designs.

I just love to use deer on my cards as we always have them roaming around a lot here. Almost every night they are grazing in our fields or running through the yard. And, that keeps our dog on patrol as well during the night and she is always barking up a storm. I am so thankful I have gotten used to her constant barking or I would not get a wink of sleep. We do get complaints from guests however. Haahaa!

I decided to enter this card design into the Double D's Challenge-Woodland Creatures. It should qualify.

Well, thanks to all who have come to visit and I hope that your week is going well. I love to see all the wonderful comments you leave too.

God bless,
Verna

18 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Stunning card featuring the beautiful and wonderful creatures around us. Thanks for entering and showing your beautiful work at our "Woodland Creatures" Challenge. Thanks for joining in and good luck in the draw.  Double D Challenges{DT aNNie}

Ellibelle said...

A really nice design, the image is gorgeous and love how you framed it!

Rosy Newlun said...

I would definitely say you know how to watercolor, Verna. This is stunning. Thank you for explaining how you used it. And the GKD heavyweight didn't buckle? Wow. This opens up new ideas for me! I'm glad you get to see the serenity of deer by your home, too.

Donna Phelan said...

Oh I love your water color background, such a perfect and serene setting for those fabulous deer! I like how you framed your card off too, the black really POPS! This is a just a perfect Sympathy card. It would make a nice masculine birthday card too! Well done, Verna! Thanks so much for playing along with us at The Double D Challenge Blog, Woodland Creatures, Donna, DT Member.

Judy Woodland said...

Great watercoloring here, Verna!!! I love what you have done with that stamp, it's perfect for a masculine card. And I think that die cut really showcases the focal image, that is one great card. Beautifully done!!! You are the Queen of Scene!!!

KT Fit Kitty said...

Beautiful sympathy card, Verna. The image is gorgeous!

Darlene said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Verna! Love your watercoloring and yes of course your beautiful creation qualifies! Love how you have framed this precious image! Great job! Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Double D ‘Woodland Creatures’ challenge! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DOUBLE D Challenge Blog
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please stop in for a visit!

Inkyfingers said...

This image is stunning Verna! It looks like a fine art piece and deserves to be framed for the wall as well as for your card.
Hugs
Carol x

Leslie Miller said...

These are the most beautiful deer! Interesting, your technique for adding color. I'm a bit in awe of this stamp and your coloring, Verna. I'm glad to see it in our Woodland Creatures challenge at Double D!

Diane said...

Fabulous stamp Verna, I love, love my older stamps, well maybe I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to them lol. These deer are so pretty and I love your card design! We had 6 deer last night, I am hoping once Spring arrives they find a new lace to 'dwell'...and leave my flower gardens alone!
PS: I added a subscribe to, to Cheapo Die Blog.

Ina G said...

Love Love Love this one Verna. Those deer are simply gorgeous especially with all their white spots. Beautifully coloured.

Carol L said...

This is wonderful, such a beautiful and serene sympathy card! I love the simple design!

Karen Dunbrook said...

lovely...
xx Karen

Birgit said...

Oh my goodness, this is a true work of art Verna! What a wonderfully peaceful scene on this darling card.

Brenda in IN said...

The water colored deer look authentic. You did a fantastic job of making them look so real. Love the dotted black mat.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Gorgeous! What a pretty image for a Sympathy card.

Barbara said...

You are really getting into water coloring and it is awesome. I love this calming card and that you used it for a sympathy card. Thanks for sharing this with us at Double D Challenge.
Double D Challenges DT member Barbara

Lisa said...

How sweet and beautiful! Love how you used the watercoloring technique over the stamped image... awesome look and the grass.. just stunning..

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...