Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Winter Shaker Card

This afternoon I made a shaker card. And, what should have been quite an easy one to do turned out to be a mess for sure. I recently ran across a little packet of white micro beads and thought they would work great in a shaker card for a winter scene as the snow. Well, what I didn't realize that all those little beads once out of the packet were rolling all over the place. I had a mess. And, when I finally corralled a few into my shaker area my hand got caught on the double adhesive strips I had put down and once again those beads were all over the place. Al the adhesive strips were covered with them so I had to scrape them off. I decided that was not the route I was going to go. I cleaned up all the beads except for those rolling still around on the table and the floor and decided to substitute some sparkly snowy looking sequins from Kat Scrappiness. Well, they worked much better. So without further ado I present my shaker card for you.


I chose to use the tree, deer and sentiment from the Gina K. Designs Christmas Wishes set. I stamped the tree and then used some post-it note to mask off my snow line. Then I took light blue ink and sponged on the sky area. That was my background for the shaker area. Really a simple one.

Next I took an A2 size white card stock panel and with the Gina K. Designs Diagonal Striped Background stamp I made a red striped pattern paper. Out of this panel I used the large set of Gina K. Designs Single Stitched rectangle die set and cut my window using the middle die. Then I placed my acetate under that window. With double stick tape strips from Darice I proceeded to make my frame which was to hold the shaker elements.  Then very carefully I added some of those sequins and placed the frame over the top of my scene that I had created. I did not want to leave that shaker window plain so I took the middle and larger die and placed one inside the other and then die cut a frame from the Christmas Pine card stock. This was then added to the window.

My next step was adding the whole panel to a white card stock base. I find that by placing the base card in the corner of my MISTI or in the corner of my score board that I can align the top panel more easily to it and have it placed almost perfectly. I simply align the top panel up with the corner as well.

Well, that looked too plain so I stamped the little deer and colored it and used the dies that are with the set to die cut it out. I also stamped the sentiment and layered that to Red Hot so that I could add that to the card as well. I placed the deer in the lower left and the sentiment in the upper right corner. My final addition to the card was to use some Connect glue and add a few of the sequins to the outside of the acetate window.


It really is quite a clean and simple shaker design but it sure was a hassle for me to make. I hope it still will be appreciated by the recipient.

Thanks for the visit and I wish all of you a wonderful Fourth of July. I am not sure if I will get much more card making in as I have things to work on for our weekend get-together. So until next time, please take care.

God bless,
Verna

12 comments:

Carol L said...

This is such a cute and fun card, and in spite of all your messes and mishaps, it turned out perfect! Love all that shaker "snow!"

Doreen said...

This is gorgeous,what a great card,love the image.xxx

Dawn S. said...

I love the final result! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble doing things. I watch the videos and it takes them 5 minutes to make the card and I take an hour! Happy Fourth of July!

KT Fit Kitty said...

Oh no, sounds like you had a lot of trouble but it turned out so cute! I love shaker cards! I haven't made one for ages!

Inkyfingers said...

What pesky little microbeads to give you such a runaround Verna! I know they look pretty but I think your snowy sequins look just as good. The candy stripe paper is so striking for the front of the card and the green frame really pops. Your cute little deer looks as though he is taking a bow for creating the scene lol!
Happy 4th July to you and yours.
Hugs
Carol x

Jennifer Scull said...

I think your card is adorable, in spite of the headache it gave you. What you described is one of the reasons why I tend to not make many shaker cards! ;) But this really did turn out cute!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Very fun Christmas shaker! I like those stamps a lot. Many times I have looked at those microbeads at the craft store. I am glad you shared that you had so much trouble with them, but I will not get them afterall. The final result looks great even if you did have a mess with the beads!

Donna Ellis said...

Lovely shaker element in your beautiful Christmas card! xxoo

Greta said...

Absolutely beautiful shaker! I know what you mean about tiny beads going everywhere!

Leslie Miller said...

I have microbeads in several colors and I'm almost afraid to get them out again. They can be a pain, as you've clearly described. Sequins are the go-to thing for shakers these days and so much easier! This is darling, Verna. The little deer is the perfect addition and the candy striped paper makes it very Christmas-y!

Lagene said...

Super CUTE shaker card!

Lisa said...

Whoever receives this will love it for sure! I was laughing while reading your mishaps because that is me EVERY time I make a shaker card!...lol... if I'm lucky I remember to put the acetate on before I put my foam tape on!... if not, it becomes a faux shaker...lol! 'Cause I"m sure not starting over...lol! Adorable card!

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...