Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Over The Edge

My friend Barbara Campbell is hosting the Creative Confetti Challenge this time and it looked like so much fun to do that I stayed up late last night working on an entry for it. After I had started my card and stamped the image I realized that I did not have a die for it. So I thought a bit and decided to see if a craft knife would work to cut the design and I am glad to say it did work although it was a lot more involved with the process. So with no further ado, here is my card I designed.


I chose the Gina K. Designs Winter Flower stamp set for my card. I stamped the image and then masked the flower before adding the leaves.  I used Gina K. Design Obsidian black ink and placed it  onto Ivory card stock.  Before I stamped the design though I took a pencil and drew a light line where the fold would naturally be on an A2 card. That gave me an idea where to place the flower. I then colored it with Copics. Once I had cut out the upper part of the flower I then completed the fold. To enhance the image a bit more. I used my blending brushes to add a light coating of yellow around it. I also added yellow gems to the center of the flower. Then in order to get this to fit into an A2 envelope I had to cut off a portion of the bottom so that it measured 4 1/4 inches from the top of the flower to the bottom of the card.

Be sure to click on the link for the challenge to see the way Barbara did it with the die. If I try it again I will try to select an image that has an accompanying die with it.

Well, I did enjoy that experience and hopefully soon I won't be so busy with garden salvaging. So much of the produce is rotting because of too much moisture so we are trying to catch things before that happens. So it is an every day process except when it is raining. Today it is my job to make refrigerator pickles. We gave a lot of cucumbers away but I decided to make another batch of these for winter consumption.

Thanks for visiting and I always love to read your comments. Take care and have a great day!

God bless,
Verna

16 comments:

TK said...

Very interesting card and idea! Did the cut make the inside difficult to stamp a sentiment? I've seen over the edge stamping but it has always been a separate die placed, not cut out of the base! Kudos to you!

Pickles? One jar? Man we can go through a jar every couple of weeks through the winter! I hope you're enjoying your garden goodness though, ours is about done.

Doreen said...

A gorgeous card,love the image.xxx

Barbara said...

When you are determined there is nothing that can stop you. You found a way to make this Off the Edge card a success without a die. Your special Christmas poinsettia card is fantastic. I love all of the white space to let the flower and the sentiment shine. Yes, using a matching die is much easier, but I am so impressed that you continued and this is the grand result. Thanks for giving it a try. You are a good friend and an impressive crafter.

Brenda in IN said...

This is a gorgeous design and you are so clever to make it. A nice surprise when taken out of the envelope. Bright, beautiful coloring.

Rosy Newlun said...

Wooo! You did a remarkable job to enter the challenge! It's so lovely and thank you for the instructions. I saw Barbara on the blog, too. I hope I can play. I'm sorry the weather is running some of your produce. The picked sounds yummy!

Leslie Miller said...

I saw Barbara's post on her blog and the PP blog, but then I had to go read it again. This is a very clever design idea the way she did it and you did a beautiful job on yours! I really love the script on the sentiment and the gems in the flower center. A lovely card for Christmas, Verna!

Carol L said...

Nice job with that off-the-edge card! The poinsettia just looks gorgeous!

Diane said...

Beautiful card and you did a fantastic job of off the edge, something I have yet to try, but you sure pulled it off!!

Dawn S. said...

What a beautiful card! You did a great job colouring your poinsettia and cutting it to go off the edge!

Ina G said...

Love it Verna. Have to have a poinsettia card at Christmas time.

Dandi93 said...

Absolutely gorgeous card Verna... Love all of the white space

Mac Mable said...

Wow what a stunning card and a fabulous technique. A really special Christmas card and so very eye catching x. Hope you don't loose too much produce? x

Greta said...

I could never use a kraft knife that way--looks like a die cut! Beautiful card, Verna!

wannabcre8tive said...

Very beautiful, Verna. I love how you sponged around the poinsettia.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Lovely poinsettia off the edge!

Lisa said...

Beautiful and very cool design! I'll have to check the post out with the die cut ...

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...