Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Bisters and Stampinback Paper

Oh, yes! I am still experimenting with the Bisters but this time I am using the Stampinback paper that is featured in the video instead of the heavy weight white Pure Luxury card stock from Gina K. Designs. And, this paper is a coated matte finish on one side and non coated on the other side. I used the coated side to create these samples with the Bisters. I noticed that the coated card stock from Stampinback does not absorb the inks as well so therefore, one gets a different look with the papers. Personally, I like both types of paper. It depends on what look you want to achieve.

On this particular card I used the yellow, red and green bisters to create the background. And, after it was dry I then added the Cardinal image from I Brake for Stamps. I used water base markers but I found them to streak somewhat so I think next time I will use a make up sponge and add color that way to my images. Again I also used a white gel pen to add more dimension.


This second sample I simply used only black Bisters on the coated card stock and when it was completed I noticed that it also gave off a bit of light blue and brown too! After studying it over I decided this should be a night scene.

I used the snowboarding bear image and the evergreen tree from I Brake for Stamps and used water based markers again. Somehow this is not as nice as I had figured it would be but still I guess it is not my worst effort. LOL I bleached out the moon in that spot and thought it looked like a cloud covering part of it. Here and there I tried to add some stars but I guess one could say they resemble snowflakes too. Again I used the white gel pen for the stars and for the snow flying up from the action of the snowboard.



* * * Oh, take note! According to Della from I Brake for Stamps one cannot use Copics or any other alcohol ink type markers with this paper. She said it worked great with the Tim Holtz Distress inks so that is my next plan to try those inks with this paper,

Well, that is what I did on a rainy afternoon yesterday. So far today no rain, but it is cold and cloudy. Brrr! Almost feels like the furnace should be given a notch to kick in. But I will try to bear with it and just wear more clothing. If my cold hands permit, I might try a few more experiments. Stay warm if it is chilly where you are, and keep the frost away for a while yet!

God bless,
Verna

11 comments:

Angelica Schmidt said...

Very beautiful cards Verna! The background looks like a beautiful marble! Glad you are enjoying playing with this technique! Have a Blessed day!

Donna Ellis said...

wow! You have become the guru of Bisters, Verna! It was a pleasure seeing all your gorgeous card designs on the IBFS website, and watching the video there. Truly, your creations are remarkable, and I so love the way you are creating colored backgrounds which are magical or festive! hugs, de

Kathy Krug said...

Thanks for sharing your creations with us. It looks like you are having so much fun while you create some fabulous works of art.

Joyce Erb said...

Gorgeous, love this one. The blavk turned out great too. I saw this post yesterday and it looks very similar (brusho powders)but more colors available:
http://www.shirley-bee.co.uk/2014/09/stamplorations-september-stamp-release.html

Carolyn said...

Two terrific Christmas cards. You will be ready if oodles of cards for the holidays if you continue on each day.

Fenny said...

Great cards Verna and I like to see you play with Stampinback card stock. I use Distress markers to color in at this card stock and sometimes Adirondack markers. They both work well.

redwasher1 said...

My word, Verna , your cards are beautiful!! I just love all the gorgeous backgrounds you are creating.

Unknown said...

You seem to be having a lot of fun with these, The cards re great, and loving the backgrounds,

Peanut said...

These really lovely cards, Verna. Cloud covering the moon - perfect! The marbly bg you gave the cardinal suits him just fine!
hugs, Asha

Unknown said...

I would pop these beauties in a frame for my Christmas décor, in a heartbeat!
How fun is this medium? I see the word, and want to slap a Band-Aid on ya!
All those years as a nurse, oops! LOL Just kidding. I know it is Bisters, not Blisters, but just saying....
TFS, it makes me want to try this!!

Daria said...

Beautiful. I love the Bister backgrounds.

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...