Friday, February 12, 2021

Milestone Birthday Card

 My oldest sister is turning 90 in a couple days and since there is no mail on her birthday I sent her card a bit early. She should have received it by now so I am posting this card I made for her. She is a fun gal who has a great sense of humor so I went with a more humorous type of card. I think she will love it too! I began by stamping and die cutting out 90 candles. That was a task but it was fun because I was thinking of her while doing it. You can see 89 on the card front and the last one is inside the card. The candles were stamped and cut out with the Impression Obsession Stamp & Die Block Duo. I did sets of different colors and then mixed them all up on the yellow card base. I also added some clear drops on a few of them so try to make it look like dripping wax. I am not sure that was quite as successful as I wanted but what is done is done. I think a white drip would have been better though.




I computer generated the sentiments. Here is a photo with the close up of the one on the front.



Do you see where the candle was dropped and burned the corner of the card. I simply tore off part of the card in all layers and with ink tried to make it look like it was scorched and burned. My hubby said I pulled it off at any rate and he is always one to let me know if it looks okay or not. So I went on with the design inside the card too and on the back as these photos below will show.



And here below is the back of the card.



I must admit this did take me a few days to make but it was a fun time for me and I wanted to do something special for my big sis. I hope she will like it and get a great laugh from it. Since we are in this pandemic her children decided a card shower was in order and I am glad they are finding some way of celebrating with her.

We had a busy week here. Hubby had surgery on Tuesday and was pretty sore and miserable. Then Thursday we went for our Covid shot and I also went for my wound care appointment. Since he could not drive my wonderful sister-in-law was so gracious to take us to our appointments. We only live about a quarter of a mile from each other and often we try to help each other out when it is needed. So it is pretty handy. But things are going a bit better now and hopefully in a couple weeks my man will feel more like himself again with vigor and energy. As to the Covid shot we did not seem to have any bad reactions from it. I think I might have ached a bit more but then that could be because I skipped my Tylenol too.

Anyway I hope all of you had a great week. Sorry I was missing in action but I was busy otherwise. Take care and enjoy your weekend.

God bless, Verna

27 comments:

Swissie said...

Wow! That was a job, Verna! Fantastic! And the card is just wonderful.
Congrats to your sister!
Hugs from Liv i Switzerland

Bonnie said...

This is so fantastic on so many levels. That you actually counted each candle, added dripping wax (I can see it and it is great) and then ended up burning the corner. She will have a hoot with this one. What a milestone for her.

Glad you are doing good. Maybe even better than good. Wound care is progressing, so that is quite the blessing.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Fabulous make, Verna. Can't believe you made 90 candles - very creative and your sister is going to love it! The burnt corner looks awesome too. Brilliant make! Take care!

Bunny said...

Quite a milestone for your sister. A happy birthday to you. I love that you actually put 90 candles on her card. A lot of work but oh what a special card. I know you look forward to better health days and you are getting there. Hooray for that. Glad you got your first COVID shot. Enjoy your sweetheart on Valentine's Day. [Bunny]

Judy Woodland said...

Oh wow, this is an act of love. Labor intensive for sure, but what a fabulous card, and so perfect for your sweet sister. Happy you guys are hanging in there and you are slowly moving forward. This is the winter of our discontent, but it will soon be over now. Thank the Lord.....it's winter, but spring's a'comin. Good thoughts going your way.

kiwimeskreations said...

What an amazing and gently humorous card Verna - I love the 'burnt' corner :)
Sounds as though you two have been in the wars a bit of late... I hope you both continue to heal well.
Good to hear you coped well with the vaccine
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Sandra H said...

Wow what a card you have created for you sister and what a milestone too! It’s beautiful and creative 90 cut out candles that’s a lot of cutting well done xx

Barbara said...

She will love this card, as I can see all of the love and fun that you had to make such a clever card. All of those candles and the burnt part are just amazing. Hallmark could not do a better one.
I am glad that your busy week is better and your hubby and you are on the way to healing.

Mac Mable said...

What a fun and creative card for your fun loving sister. Wow ...what a lot of work and so worth it x. I extra love the burnt corner and I think the wax drips look great. Fabulous and thoughtful card Verna x. So glad you both didn't have reactions to the vaccine and sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery for your husband x.

Judy Inukai said...

Super cute card. Love how you added the scorched part. Very labor intensive, but a true labor of love. Your dripping candles turned out great. Your sister will love it. Glad to hear things are progressing for you. Hope your hubby feels better soon.

Diane said...

Wow, this is awesome and I bet your sister absolutely loved it, what a lot of work but so worth it as it turned out beautiful, what a great sister you are!!

Carol L said...

This is one of the most labor-intensive and hilarious cards I've ever seen yet! I can't stop laughing over the burnt corner and how you place those few random candles on the edge that didn't fit into the pattern! Adding the last candle inside is just genius! You outdid yourself on this one! Hope your hubby has a speedy recovery and you are both feeling well after your shots. Happy valentine's day!

Lisa K said...

So creative and fun! So glad you took your time making this over a few days. That is a lot of die cutting. She is going to be thrilled to receive this, or already has received it.

Donna Ellis said...

LOL! LOL! What a fabulously fun, customized, and COLORFUL card, Miss Verna! Your sister will love it. I am in awe at the details and that you so carefully applied each and every candle so lovingly. It's really a wonderful way to use the candles, and to make someone feel extra special! huggers, de

Lisa Babitz said...

LOVE this!! 90 candles - wow!! So much work but great end result. And I love how you made the corner look like it had burned. So clever. Happy birthday, Verna's sister!

TK said...

What a FANTASTIC card, Verna! You're a peach for stamping and cutting 90 candles!!!
Glad you are ok, and Arlin is healing. Hope things are back to normal soon.

Leslie Miller said...

Your card is absolutely delightful, Verna! A true labor of love for your sister and I know she got the biggest smile and probably a good belly laugh from it. I love how you "burned" the corner. Very clever! Fantastic! I'm glad to hear you got your shot. I have no idea when we'll get ours here.

KT Fit Kitty said...

Oh, Verna, this card is AMAZING! So creative and clever! Love all the candles but especially the burnt corner, so funny! Awesome job! I think she will get a kick out of this card! Happy 90th to your sister! Hope your hubby heals well and glad to read that you are both okay after your jabs.

Ina G said...

Wow Verna this card is awesome and made with such love for your sister. You had me fooled with the burning - really thought that you did just that. How clever of you to pull it off in such a real way. I am sure your sister would be in awe of this special card. Thinking of you and hope the next few weeks are on the up for you both.

Greta said...

What an incredibly special card for your sister's 90th! I know she'll get a big kick out of it!

Dawn S. said...

What a great card for your sister’s 90th birthday! I love how you ‘burned’ the corner of the card!

wannabcre8tive said...

wow, this is a special card. I love that you put 90 candles on her card with the last one being on the inside. She will love it. It made me smile. Great job, Verna.

Shirley
https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/3619962364263643312

Dandi93 said...

Such a fun card and happy birthday to your sister. Awesome job Verna

laurie said...

Wow that's alot of work...but such an awesome card!! I hope your hubby feels better soon. Glad you got your shots. Mine will prolly be awhile and I am anxious to get it!

Cheryl Wright said...

Fabulous card, Verna! I'll bet your sister adores it. Happy 90th Birthday to her!

Vicki Dutcher said...

LOL This card is brilliant! Had me laughing at the burnt edge -- excellent card

Mariann Jakobsen said...

OMG This is so creative!! Love your idea and what a work!!! Brilliant!

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...