Sunday, November 8, 2015

2015 Ornament Card

This afternoon I decided to work on my 2015 ornament design. Each year I make a few ornaments from paper and use them on my tree and also give them out with a card as a little extra something from me to my sisters. I used dies from Memory Box to create my card and ornament. This first post will just feature the card design and I will do another post showing the ornament. The project for today involves using a positive and a negative of my die cuts.


The first steps was to make my light lavender and my purple panels and I used the Memory Box Cross Stitched Borders dies for those.



I cut out a ornament design from the lighter shade of purple and put that aside for future use.


I put pop dots to the lighter shade of card stock which by the way are shimmery ones I got from Crafter's Companions. I think that is why sometimes the purples take on a different shade. I added the pop dot panel then to the darker purple one and then placed it on a white card base.


Now see that nice open space. When I purchased the plain ornament die I also purchased a more ornate one as well. So I proceeded to cut some of those out as well.


Of course for this card I chose to use the gold insert. I added it to the panels I had placed on the card base. It fit right into that open area.


My next step was to make a simple gold ribbon bow and add that to the upper part of the ornament. I then added a sentiment which is from Gina K. Designs Winter Cheer set which I stamped in purple ink on white card stock. I fussy cut that sentiment and then added that to the card below.

But to me it was still very plain looking and so I finished the card by adding pearls to the ornament and to each corner.


Sleep eluded me last night for three hours and during that time I decided how I wanted to use those dies. This is not quite the traditional colors I had been using of late on my Christmas cards but I still think that they are very appropriate anyway.

Memory Box dies used are the following:
Cross Stitched Frame Border Dies Style No. 99124
Globe Ornament Style No. 98927
Portia Ornament Style No. 98920

I think I will enter this in the Scrapy Land Blog Challenge.

Thanks for looking and my next post will feature how I assembled my ornament.

God bless,
Verna

7 comments:

Lori Kobular said...

Very pretty Christmas card! I love the ornament you made. Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #29!

Barbara said...

OMGoodness Verna, you are now doing tutorials of how you make your cards. Wonderful examples and a beautiful card with the simple ornament. Love it.

Judy Woodland said...

how gorgeous!!!! I love everything about it, from the beautiful gold to the lovely purple. Very lovely!!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful ornament card; your sisters will love their ornament this year. Your tutorial is excellent.

Kathy Krug said...

Love your ornament and your card.Purple and gold are soo pretty together. .

Donna Ellis said...

Lovely inlaid card, Verna! I love the way you have put the ornament together, and the rich colors! Thanks for joining us in the Scrapy Land Challenge! Hope to see your pretty projects again.
happiness and hugs,
de
{Creative Smiles}

Peanut said...

So pretty and I like the clean and simple look. LOVELY!
hugs Asha

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...