Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Hanging Birdcage Birthday

I had to play with a new die today which I purchased from Die-Namites recently so I decided to make the card according to the Die-Namites Sketch and Dare Challenge they were having for June.


Below is the sketch they wanted me to follow and I must admit I was a bit confused at first on how to do it but I think I did a fairly good interpretation of it. I went at it from a different angle but I think the concept is still there. My layering should have been done differently. But even though I messed it up somewhat  I will still enter it.


My background was made using the Color Burst crystal granules on water color paper. Colors used were blue, green and purple. I tried to place the colors strategically before I spritzed with the water and then I sort of used a broad brush to push the colors around on the panel where I wanted them. To add more dimension to the background I also used a fine paint brush to pick up extra purple color to make streaks upwards on the bottom to try and get the effect of some greenery below the tree and birdcage image.

I cut the background at an angle similar to the one in the sketch and then layered it to black card stock with two edges only showing. Next I took some pattern paper from the Gina K. Designs Here Comes the Sun paper pack and backed this onto that before I added it to the A2 size black card base. 

Here is the die I used for the card front:

Hanging Cage

I cut the die from black card stock and glued that over the background. I think that die is so pretty and works so well to create a more masculine looking card but also would work for many occasions.

The sentiment is from Embossing Arts and that brand is available at I Brake For Stamps. I am not sure if it is retired or not as I purchased mine many years ago. I stamped that in black ink to try to match the die and layering.

And the finishing touch was to put a white sheet inside the card so that a message can be written there.

Besides the Die-Namites challenge I am also entering this into the Mod Squad Blog Challenge which calls for a birthday card.

Well, that is all for me this week and perhaps for a couple weeks as I am having two grandsons spend a couple weeks with us and I think most of my creative juices will be spent cooking and baking. But that is okay too.

Thanks for stopping in and taking a look at my blog. I appreciate each and every one that comes to visit it.

God bless,
Verna

19 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

What a lovely backdrop for that sweet die cut, Verna! Love those amazing colors! xo

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome background! Great use of the sketch

Patti J said...

Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous!!! Love your take on the sketch, and those colors are stunning! Great card, dear friend - thanks for inspiring me!!!

Kathy Krug said...

Love what you did with the sketch and that great die. I am glad to see your take on that sketch because I was when I saw it, I thought they were just showing the corner of the card, but thanks to you now I see it,

Brenda said...

another beautiful creation, Verna :)

Barbara said...

Beautiful Background for that special die. It is so intricate and detailed.

Unknown said...

Another great card. That die is awesome.

Judy Woodland said...

Love their dies and have several. Beautiful background on this one, and great take on the sketch. Love this card!

Anne Temple said...

Fabulous card and I love that background. I definitely want some of those Color Bursts. Your backgrounds look fabulous with them.

Joyce Erb said...

Great use of that pretty die. Love the background. Thanks for taking the challenge with us at the <a href="http://modsquadchallenge.blogspot.com”>Mod Squad Challenge</a>

Unknown said...

Love that background, beautiful die too! Glad you have time to craft, yay you!!!

Darnell said...

This is a great birthday card, Verna! I would have been confused by that sketch, too! Thank you for the info about the challenge; I didn't even know they had one and I've got a lot (cough) of their dies!! Have fun cooking, baking, and playing with those boys!! We get the twinks this weekend and can't wait! Hugs, Darnell

Peanut said...

WOW! That background is awesome, Verna. Beautifully composed card.
hugs Asha

Lynne Forsythe said...

Verna.....there is NO WRONG WAY to interpret our Sketch....the only wrong way would to be to not play along AT ALL!!! THANK YOU for participating with Die~Namites Dies June Sketch Challenge.....JOB WELL DONE!!

Lynne Forsythe said...

Verna.....the only WRONG way to interpret Die~Namites June Sketch Challenge would to be to not play along at all!!! GREAT take on the sketch and thanks for PLAYIN' along!!!

Pammejo said...

Fabulous card and wonderful interpretation of the sketch. Thanks for joining us on the Die-Namite Challenge this month.

Erin Reed said...

Wonderful project, thanks for playing along in the Die~Namites June Sketch Challenge!!

Peggy Lee said...

Love your card, great take on the sketch....Thanks for playing along with us on the Die~Namites June Sketch Challenge

Martha Lucia Gomez said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful card with us at Die-Namites June Sketch Challenge. Good luck!

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...