Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Remembering Dad

My Dad passed away a long, long time ago but I still think of him every Father's Day. To me he was a big man who was tenderhearted and fun to be around. And, patient! He would sit in his easy chair when he should have been resting and he let his little girls comb, curl and put ribbons in his hair. And, he had very broad shoulders too! Much like a big old oak tree when he held his arms out as it was a place of shelter for me.

One day I fell down and scraped my knee and he took the iodine and got me laughing so hard when he not only covered the sore area but proceeded to write my name all down my leg. And, it was a Saturday and when my Mom saw what he had done she was so upset as she didn't think she could get it all cleaned off in time for church the next day. But she did get it cleaned off.

Anyway, this card is one which features a big tree on it and I think it represents how it felt to be sheltered in Daddy's arms.



The background is done with Blue Bisters and then I took a stencil called Grunge Tree by Sheena Douglas and added that with dark brown ink. The sentiment is from Stampscapes. My DAD was computer generated.

Well, the internet is in and out so hopefully I can get this posted yet tonight. I am entering this is the Mod Squad Blog Challenge for this week.

God bless,
Verna

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is really beautiful, and I know how you feel.....it's one club I wish we didn't belong to! I think you should frame this card, put it in a special place of honor. I love the tree and how it makes you feel sheltered in your Dad's arms, that's a wonderful feeling! Remember, he's ALWAYS with you! xo~

Peanut said...

I know exactly how you feel, Verna. It'll be 12 years next month and think of him always. This card is a beautiful tribute to your Daddy. No doubt he is smiling down on you... with pride.
hugs Asha

Judy Woodland said...

Thank you for sharing that little commentary about your dad. Sounds like you have very fond memories of him!! Using the tree is a lovely tribute to him, and I love the color combo you have used. Very nice card and great take on the challenge! Thanks so much for playing along this week at the Mod Squad Challenge

I Brake For Stamps said...

Great story and beautiful card, Verna.
I hope you had a wonderful birthday, too.

Unknown said...

Certainly says a lot for how wonderful your family was. Beautiful tribute to him as well.

Vicki Dutcher said...

Awesome card! Yeah, I have great memories of my Father too -- gosh I miss him!

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...