Thursday, May 29, 2014

Red, White, Blue

I saw on Facebook the new challenge for the Mod Squad Blog challenge for this week. The challenge is to make entries using red, white and blue in honor of the past Memorial Day celebrations. And, you know those colors are among my favorites as I use them a lot to make cards for Operation Write Home. So it was a natural thing for me to join in on this challenge.



For my card I used a Darice embossing folder called Honeycomb. I also took some red ink and sponged a bit around the edges and over the honeycomb design to accentuate it a bit more. I then added the embossed panel to a white card base.

That beautiful die from Heartfelt Creations is called Decorative Lattice Swirl and it was part of a prize package given to me recently. It was cut in white card stock but for this card I decided to ink it with Versamark embossing ink and then added Sparkle N Sprinkle Blueberry embossing powder which I heat set. I gave it three coats of this EP to make it more stable.

My flowers of choice were from the Gina K. Designs duo set called Especially for You. I colored them with my Spectrum Noir pens and then in the center I added multiple white pearls. My card was then finished by the addition of a white satin bow which was made with my Craft-Dee BowZ bow making tool.

I did not add a sentiment and instead thought this would be a card that might work for any occasion and for any gender.

I hope that you took time to honor our veterans past and present this last weekend. We owe so much to them for the service and sacrifice that they made. And, thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is going great!

God bless,
Verna


13 comments:

Angelica Schmidt said...

Gorgeous creation Verna! Love your version of the red white and blue challenge! Have a Blessed day!

Judy Woodland said...

This is just beautiful Verna!!! I love your flowers, and that die is to die for - lol!! What a great take on the challenge - I see a winner here!

Brenda said...

Gorgeous!!! What a fun way to incorporate red white & blue

Lee said...

Oooo I love the sparkle and shimmer!! And what gorgeous flowers!

Barbara said...

Super delicious card. The BG die is so different, never have seen that before. Really cool,idea to use pearls in the center of the flower.

Unknown said...

Love it Verna. Gorgeous. The die and fussy cutting the flowers just set it all off perfectly.

Sharon Underwood said...

Wonderful card, Verna! Love those pearls in the center of the flowers, and you did a great job embossing in that beautiful blue. Gorgeous bow!

Barbara Bruder said...

This is a lovely card. Great use of the red, white and blue. Love the embossing folder and that die you used. Another great card.

Olga Moore said...

Verna, this is so lovely! I love what you did with the HFC die cuts. That's a great idea. And the multiple pearls in the center of the flowers look like tiny beads. A beauty!

Peanut said...

I have to agree with everyone - this really is a LOVELY card, Verna. The lightly inked honeycomb background is just perfect! Have a lovely weekend.
xxx Asha

Darnell said...

Aaah, there were four great cards waiting for my visit today as I am catching up! Excellent work, Verna! Just as you said, this card is so perfect for any occasion and any gender! Hope you had a great weekend! Hugs, Darnell

Unknown said...

Love this card Verna, your flowers are just gorgeous with the pearl centers. You inspire me!!

Unknown said...

Love the Heartfelt die you used and how you colored it. For a busy, busy lady, you sure make beautiful cards!

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...