Monday, June 6, 2016

Peek a Boo Father's Day Card

I had a brilliant idea and had all my ducks aligned in a row so to speak (or so I thought) when I was making this card. After I had done the first few steps I found out I had stamped everything on my card upside down. Oh, no! So I was ready to trash it  but then looked it over again and decided I could redo it and still use it for my card. And this is the outcome.


I first took a white base card and die cut the scalloped circle in the center of it with the Cheery Lynn Designs XM-5 Scalloped Circle set. Then I took the paint swath from the Gina K. Designs Tiny Textures stamp set and added color to my front panel and overstamping so that the colors showed through the die cut area.

By then I saw my mistake. So I decided it was going to be a sunset scene. So I grabbed some more blue and overstamped on the kraft which I accidentally had put at the top. This made a more darker blue. Next I added some orange in between the swaths to create the illusion of a sunset.  I also stamped more orange further down to be the reflection in the water. And, then I added more kraft at the bottom to create my sandy shore. Oh,  and I used my MISTI tool to stamp the background.

Now I proceeded to construct my scene. I decided to use only Versafine black onyx ink to stamp the images. I took images from two different sea sets to create the scene. They were the Gina K. Designs By The Sea and By The Sea 2 which are both illustrated by Theresa Momber. I also used the sentiment from the By The Sea set.

As you can tell the sail boat was stamped inside the die cut area. When the card is opened you can see how it looks from that view.


The inside sentiment is from the Love You set. Since my son's name is Joe I thought that the Joe which refers to a cuppa would also work for his name.

I always like to take a photo of the card laying down too as I think it shows more of the details. So here is a laying down photo.


Well, I think I actually made a better scene then I had first envisioned. At least I am happy and I hope my son Joe will love it as well.

I am entering this in the Mod Squad Blog Challenge.

You have a great evening and thanks for taking a look at what I have done.

God bless,
Verna

13 comments:

A splash of color said...

Wonderful card and Joe will love it. I love the way you built the background.. and the chairs.. too cute.. nice place to watch that sunset :)

Kathy Krug said...

Absolutely fabulous. I love the serene scene you created and hosw fun to have it be a peek a boo.

Judy Inukai said...

Super card inside and out. You really figured out how to save it after the goof and turn it into something wonderful. I'm sure your son will love it!

Ina G said...

Awesome male card. Such a fabulous scene you created and such a perfect peek a boo card. So relaxing.

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! Fabulous card design, Verna! I love your peek-a-boo take, and the pretty colors swished horizontally like a sunset! Beautiful! My SIL contacted me via email today and said your pretty card arrived! Thank you for brightening their day! hugs, de

Barbara said...

You worked it girl! love it when you can save a project and it is better than originally planned. This is splendid and I love the scene. Thanks so much for playing in this challenge at the Mod Squad this week.
Barbara Challenge Host.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Brava! You did a fabulous job with this! Love the peek-a-boo layout and the sunset colors are fabulous!

Unknown said...

This is fabulous, mistake and all. Sometimes our mistakes look more like ART, as in this case! Love the subject!

Dawn S. said...

I would not have known you had made a mistake if you hadn't told us. Beautiful outcome!

Judy Woodland said...

This card is just so cool, and it looks like it took some major engineering to create it. So glad you explained the process, because I would NEVER have been able to figure it out. LOVE that you just used the black outline for the images so that the color and peek-a-boo element is the star.

Joyce Erb said...

Love the texture stamp. Mistakes almost always produce a better card LOL. Makes us think outside the box, love it!

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful Verna. Have done the same thing but generally my fix is to cut and add as put the front on upside down. :)

Peanut said...

Gorgeous scene, Verna!
x Asha

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...