Monday, January 2, 2017

Foiled Cards

For Christmas I got a laminator as I had told hubby that was what I wanted. So when Gina K. Designs had a sale awhile back I took advantage and bought a lot of her foiling sheets she has printed already for making foiled backgrounds and sentiments. So today I tested my laminator and used one of her sheets to make a couple of cards. I don't know it this has been done before but after I had foiled the design onto the first card, I looked at the leftovers and decided there must be a way to use that as well on a card so that is what I did.


The card on the right was done the normal way by inserting the foiling sheets and the foil between a sheet of thin printer paper and running it through the laminator. Then I used a die to cut out a purple layer of card stock to add to the front panel of a white card base. I also used a die to cut the foiled design panel too. These were layered onto the card base and then I added the sentiment which was die cut from the same purple card stock. Since there was a thin strip of the foiled paper left I added a little inside the card.


The card on the left was made with the leftovers. I hope you can see that the pretty pattern that was left created a neat look too. So I took some sticky paper and added that layer to it. It seemed that it was sort of sticky where the design had been pulled off  so I added some clear embossing powder and heat set it. I then placed that onto a white card base too. I don't know if that was necessary but I did it as a precautionary measure. I also added a die cut sentiment on the front of that card too. It got a little crinkled when I added it to the sticky paper but I think I like that textured look.


The dies I used are:
CARA-26 God Bless-Cheery Lynn Designs
Cross Stitched Frame Borders-Memory Box

Other Supplies:
Foiling Sheets-Gina K. Designs
iCraft Deco Foil
Bonsaii Laminator
Glue Pen-Crafter's Companion
Sticky Paper-Sparkle N Sprinkle
2-Way Glue Pen
White and Purple Card Stock

I only did the one experimental sheet and I ran it through about four times and each time I turned the folded copy paper with the foiling sheet inside it a different direction and even upside down in hopes it would completely take to the design and it did. I am very pleased with the end results.

I am entering this in the Dies R Us Challenge-Anything Goes.

Well, another adventure in card making using foil. I thank you for stopping in and looking at what I did. Thanks for the lovely comments too!

God bless,
Verna

12 comments:

Kathy Krug said...

Don't you just love playing with new toys. Love the foiled images with the simple die cuts.

Barbara said...

Great idea! I have thought that the leftovers are too pretty to just throw away. You have come up with a unique idea for the. Theses are great!

Lisa Babitz said...

Your cards came out great. I love how you were able to use the leftovers from the first card for a second. Is the foil you used multicolored, or is that the way it looks when the light hits it? So pretty!

Shona Erlenborn said...

These are awesome Verna! Good for you to have mastered yet another technique. You've inspired me to get out my Silhouette, that I received as a Christmas gift two years ago, and see if I can get it to work!!

Judy Woodland said...

These are SO pretty. I love the multi colors with that sweet little background pattern. And then using the "negative" for another card is just genius. So happy you got your laminator!!! So much fun!

Karen Dunbrook said...

so festive and fun mf!

Unknown said...

WOW! Look at that foil shine! Fantastic! Glad you got one, the hubby is a good guy! lol Happy New year!

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! I love that you made 2 cards from your Christmas laminator, Verna! The technique is gorgeous, and what a great way of sharing your newest tool! Beautiful cards! hugs, de

Vicki Dutcher said...

2 for one - that is awesome! ;) Happy New Year!

Julia Sandvoss said...

These turned out fantastic and glad you like our Deco Foil! You found out the tip I share..there is very little waste! Happy New Year!

Darlene said...

Just beautiful Verna! Thanks so much for playing in our ‘Anything Goes with Dies’ challenge at Dies R Us! Please come back again soon!

Darlene (DRU Blog Leader)
DIES R US CHALLENGE BLOG
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.
P.S. On a side note: Congrats on your big win over on Sparkle n Sprinkle! I was so happy to see your name pop up!! More new fun stuff to play with! YAY!

Unknown said...

Absolutely great. Love using the negative or "leftover" as you do and it certainly made a pretty card this time.

Fluttering By

 First of all I want to wish all my Canadian friends a Happy Canada Day! I hope your day is extra special. This card I am showing uses an Al...